As any new dog owner knows, there are a ton of things to learn about your new best friends dietary needs. Everything from what dogs can and can’t eat, to what nutrients they need, right down to the time of day is best to feed them. We all have loads of questions about how to keep our dogs healthy and rarely know where to turn to find out.
Check out some of the questions we are most commonly asked below:
What should I feed my dog?
- You can feed your dog a pure dry commercial dog food diet. These are scientifically proven to be complete foods and provide all the nutrients that your dog needs. If you prefer, you can also mix their diet up with some cooked or raw meat, fish, vegetables and rice, although this can be time consuming and not necessary. We have a large selection of bagged dog food available for delivery throughout Ireland.
- Many owners like to feed a raw meat diet to their dogs, and while this can suit some dogs very well, there are some important considerations you need to be aware of.
What should I not feed my dog?
There are many foods which can’t be fed to dogs as they may cause an allergic reaction, or that they are just downright poisonous to dogs. Some of the most common foods which you are recommended to keep away from dogs are:
- Bacon and fatty meat
- Salty foods
- Garlic and onions
Can I feed dog once a day
- Most experts recommend feeding your dog twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening, though puppies under five months of age should be fed three to four times a day. If you feel your dog can regulate the amount they eat and won’t finish everything in one go, you may be able to start feeding once a day if necessary.
Is it okay to feed my dog table scraps?
- Some foods are safe and healthy for dogs to eat, while others are harmful and could even be deadly.
- All foods should be introduced into your dog’s diet gradually, so you can monitor them for adverse effects like allergic reactions. … Just make sure to only feed them foods that are non-toxic to dogs.
How to slow my dog from eating too fast?
- Try a slow eating bowl, change the dogs feeding schedule, hand feed your dog or feed several small meals per day.
Should I feed my dog added Protein food?
- Protein is essential for dogs to keep them healthy and strong such as red and white meats.
- For working dogs extra protein is not the amount of protein in a dog’s diet that is important, but the digestibility and bioavailability of amino acids.
- Often, high-protein, meat-based dog foods include protein sources that are neither highly digestible nor bioavailable to your dog.
What essential nutrients does my dog need?
- The main essential nutrients dogs need is Water, Protein, Fat, Carbohydrates, Vitamins and Minerals.
- Veterinarians may recommend an increase of Vitamin B12 or any other Vitamins if the dog does not receive enough or has a deficiency on receiving B12. We stock a wide range of diet supplements for dogs and one of our most popular B12 supplements is Forans Vitamin B12 Syrup.
Feeding your dog correctly is important to keep your dog nice and healthy and to ensure they have a full shiny coat of hair. Make that extra bit of effort to make sure your dog is getting enough food, but not too much, as overfeeding can be as bad for their health. Protein is a calorie dense nutrient and many of the high protein diets are extremely high in calories and can quickly lead to weight gain.